Education Studies Programme
An innovative programme of study and school-based internship
Our Education Studies Programmes enables you to gain practical experience working in school environment. The benefits include:
- Blend your education classes with a wide choice of academic subjects
- Teaching approach: Our Seminar courses and Tutorial courses are structured similar to the Oxbridge style of teaching
- High staff to student ratio: Seminar courses taught in small classes (maximum 15 students)
- University-level study: Engage in a stimulating academic environment with small seminar classes of 3-12 students
- Receive the individual support you require: Develop your academic knowledge in 1-to-1 tutorials with your personal tutor
- International study environment: Study within international community so you can engage with a diverse mix of students
- Interactive learning: Active collaborative learning to develop critical thinking and independent thought
- Academic study destination: Explore Oxford and the rich resources and opportunities which our location provides
- Go beyond the classroom: Benefit from a rich and varied programme of extra-curricular activities and excursions
- Exceptional cultural experience: Travel around the UK and in Europe with new friends
- Experience Oxford: You will live and learn in one of the most inspiring academic cities in the world
- Cultural learning experience: Study alongside international students as well as native English speakers
- Quality assurance: Our academic programme is accredited by US universities, including the University of San Diego
- Immerse yourself in our international community: Every year we are joined by students from over 20 countries
- Specialist support: Benefit from the expertise of our careers and higher education advisers.
Learn about teaching in an English school
You will be based at a local elementary or secondary school for one full day each week, in a class which matches your preferred age range, specialism or subject focus. We work with innovative, multicultural schools which are centres of teaching excellence – what you see and learn in the classroom will inform the work you complete for your Education courses. Your studies will take advantage of the academic and cultural resources within Oxford through engaging field trips.
Select up to 5 academic subjects per week with the below study options:
|4 seminar courses + 1 tutorial course or 5 seminar courses
We offer subject areas within the education discipline:
|Multicultural and Philosophical Foundations of Education
|Psychological Foundations of Education
|Philosophy and Ethics of Education
|Art for Educators
We also offer a range of courses in other subjects to help you towards your specialism or complete your core and electives.
Languages: Choose to study Chinese, French, Spanish or Italian. Other ancient and modern languages may be available on request including Latin, German, Japanese and Russian.
We offer a supportive academic environment, with an Oxbridge style of teaching. This programme encourages you to take responsibility for your learning and develop independent study skills. The weekly academic timetable consists of the following:
- Seminar courses: Seminar courses enable you to study university-level subjects. Our small classes provide high levels of support
- Tutorials: Our Tutorial offers the chance to study undergraduate subjects, alongside 2 other students
- Personal Tutor: You also receive 1 hour of individual support from your Personal Tutor.
St Clare’s Seminar Series
The St Clare’s Seminar Series provides an opportunity for you to explore a stimulating range of issues and ideas. Our Seminar Series is an invaluable resource, as it offers the opportunity to expand your academic knowledge and experience university-style lectures outside your specialist subject. This event runs weekly during term time. We encourage all students to attend.
Alli from Colorado explains the Education Studies Programme at St Clare’s, Oxford
“This has been a really eye opening experience for me”
Other gap year options
We offer a range of undergraduate programmes depending on your personal learning goals. We offer courses if you would like to learn a new subject or deepen your academic knowledge. Our offering also aligns with study abroad or credit transfer requirements.
If you are a non-native speaker and would like to experience studying an academic programme in an English-speaking classroom or build the academic literacies required for university study, we also offer this as a study option.